Monday, July 23, 2007

Home, Hum and Halal

I was back in Malaysia for 6 days last week. As always, i endured a 7-hour bus ride back to Kuantan, but it is no longer as uncomfortable as it used to be, cos the buses had been replaced by a new fleet which is much slicker than before.



Guess what i had back at home? For those who remembered my post back in January, i simply must have Malaysian Hokkien Mee every time i'm home. Well, this time is no different. However , this time i had another of my favourite dish, Spicy Cockles! Here, have a look at this mouth-watering serving :





Can't really tell it's 'seehum' huh! That's beside the point. The point is, i really love them, but i don't really get to eat them every time i'm home, it really depends on the availability of the cockles at different times of the year.

This time, my visit home was marred by an unpleasant incident which i promised my mother i will repeat here. Here goes :

.

Me and my parents were shopping in Cold Storage and we purchased some picnic ham which were sealed in a styrofoam container and bagged in an extra plastic bag. At the check-out counter, the Malay cashier REFUSED to touch it, meaning we had to scan it for her and place it in the plastic bags ourselves.

.

My take is: I thought halal-ness ( haha, what a word) is justified by what you eat. Correct me if i'm wrong though. Anyway, WELCOME to my HOMETOWN, the land of Ninja Turtles (if you don't comprehend this, don't worry, it's a special racist term i reserve for myself...hohoho)

.

Don't mind me, sometimes i just need to let off some steam. But look at it from a different angle and it does seem like a comical situation. My father even quipped that money being passed from hand to hand may not be 'halal', for at some point in time, it could've passed a pork butcher, who knows?

.

I am reserving some nice photos i took back in Malaysia for future postings. Stay tuned alright?

Love, puffyrazzi

No comments: